In 2012 I created this website that automatically creates hi-res posters with all your Facebook friends photos. The core business consisted in selling the hi-quality prints through a printing partner.
However, I come up with the idea of building a facebook social app with the same underlining technology: it went viral rising to 30.000 daily posters generated in a few days. Luckily the architecture was fully scalable, and I was able to handle the load with AWS auto scaling, crunching something like 4Tb of data monthly.
- Python Pil for image processing
- Beanstalkd for workers queues
- Multiple layers of MongoDB+Gridfs/S3/S3(lower redundancy) for storage
- Zend PHP + WordPress in the frontend
- Long Polling with Nginx for the loader indicator
- Amazon EC2/Autoscale/CloudWatch